Brookfield Place Calgary Environmental Overview
At Brookfield Place Calgary, we are committed to providing the highest quality commercial office space while bringing responsible environmental solutions and innovative energy-saving strategies to our tenants. This is evident by both the environmental programs that we support and the green amenities that we offer at the building.
Brookfield Place Calgary is pursuing Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) Core & Shell Gold certification.
Key property features include the use of sustainable building materials, 30% more efficient plumbing fixtures, and the implementation of enhanced Green Cleaning procedures. Brookfield Place Calgary is designed to use 40% less energy than required by the National Energy Building Code (NEBC) through the use of strategies such as energy efficient lighting products, daylight and occupancy sensors, and variable air flow ventilation systems. Building materials selected for the property contained recycled content, were produced locally, or had been certified as sustainably harvested by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC).
75% Waste Diverted
Thanks to occupant participation, educational campaigns and extensive waste sorting, only 25% of waste from Brookfield Place Calgary ends up in landfill!
- Savings are calculated as 2015 vs 2019
- Figures represent absolute data. Normalization factors such as weather & occupant density, or operational changes are not included.
Green amenities and highlights at Brookfield Place Calgary include:
- axiis Tenant App with sustainability tips, news, and events
- Dedicated access route for cyclists, separating them from vehicular traffic while accessing the parking garage
- FSC Certified paper products
- Green Cleaning practices
- Secure bike parking for cyclists – 328 spaces
- Shower facilities and over 500 lockers
- Tenant bike room and shower facilities
- Water fixtures designed to use 30% less than standard plumbing fixtures
- Waste diversion rate of 75%
At Brookfield Properties, we work directly with our waste management providers, tenants, building occupants, and visitors towards a common goal of reducing the amount of waste we generate and send to landfill. By ensuring the correct items are placed in each waste bin, we can reduce the amount of contamination found in our waste streams. Since contaminated waste streams often end up as landfill, making the right bin choice is a quick way to make a positive impact on our community.
Waste Sorting Tips and Tricks
- Ensure all containers are empty before recycling
- Look for recycling numbers on the underside of jars and bottles for recycling information
- When recycling large boxes in the office, break them down so that they are flat
- Remember that recycling at work is not the same as home
- Remember that anything contaminated will go straight to the garbage dump
- When in doubt, ask your tenant services manager where your waste goes